Friday, March 1, 2013

A Review of Sorts. Just Kidding. It's a Review of Brushes. Who Reviews Sorts?

Decapitated Barbie is a bad way to start the day.  Decapitated Barbies are worse.  I was digging through the toy box this morning, desperately trying to find the plastic zebra I knew was in there somewhere, when I came across a very pretty Barbie - head.  Then another, no bodies anywhere.  I think our Toy Story has a twisted dark side.  I did manage, though, to find the zebra, but all the stripes were worn off.  "That just looks like a horse, mom," my precocious five-year-old declared.  Let's go."  Ok, then.  I dropped her off at preschool and proceeded to have a very weird, stress-filled workday.  I'm pretty sure it's all connected.

Anyway, I am sailing to The Bahamas today (junk in the trunk and all), and I am beyond excited.  It will be my first trip outside the Continental US, sad but true, and it's 57 miles straight into the Bermuda Triangle.  How cool is that?  I'll take lots of fun pictures, and I'm sure there will be a great story to tell when I get back.

So, have you seen those late-night infomercials for the new miracle Michel Mercier no-tangle brush?  I woke up one night, and it was on, so naturally I had dreaming of brushes and tangles.  It seemed like such a fantastic Eureka!  Both of my daughters have beautiful, long blonde hair that wads up every night as if they slept in their own little blenders.  Where most hair gets rats nests, they suffer from gorilla beds.  So that very night, I hopped out of bed and ordered 2 of them, which turned out to be 4 because their website is terribly confusing, especially at 3:00 a.m.  I did not intend to spend over $50 on hair brushes.  That morning, at a more normal hour, I contacted their customer service to explain that I needed to cancel that spontaneous error.  The girl on the phone politely explained that my order had already shipped.  Wow!  Now, that's fast!  Then my head spun when she cheerfully offered to refund half of my payment, without my even asking.  I said, "Heck, yes!" and then waited on pins and needles for my new magic brushes to arrive.  The days crept by while I imagined these magic brushes with fingers for bristles that would untangle my girls' hair with cleverness and ease.  Imagine my disappointment when the day came, and what was inside that exciting box?  Um, brushes.  Ordinary looking brushes.  No little fingers or pixie dust or anything.  I tried them out on my oldest daughter first.  I'm pretty sure she's always thrilled to be the guinea pig.  She still cringed as I ran the brush through her hair, but she didn't howl and run from me like usual, so I'd call that a win.  My younger daughter was not as impressed, but she didn't react any worse either.  In the end, I'd give these brushes a B+.  Way to be, Michel Mercier!

No comments: