Monday, January 23, 2012

Do you have any coupons?

Couponing - the paper-cutting, long check-out, "wth?" answer to the tanking economy. On the show, Extreme Couponing, when the cashier asks, "Do you have any coupons today?" she totally already knows. Who's going to be all like, "Oh, no I don't have any coupons. I just really like to buy hundreds of frozen entrees and mountains of deodorent."? But people get some good deals, some REALLY good deals. After watching so many mavens of savin' clean out supermarkets on TV, I thought, "What the heck? I can do this," and logged on to www.couponmom.com, a great little website for finding local grocery deals and steals. I am now the proud owner of 16 bottles of A1 Steak Sauce (yeah, it's that important), 2 dozen boxes of brownie mix, 14 boxes of Chex cereal and enough Ken's Steakhouse dressing to drown a moose. I didn't have countless hours to devote to couponing, but I did score some good buys. I also scored almost 20 pounds. Wait, what?! Yep, and my husband picked up some discount poundage too. I was saving a lot of money, but I was buying a lot of processed foods we wouldn't normally eat. I've decided that, for my family and for me, couponing is just not the right route. If I did have hours in the day to spare, I think I'd plant a garden and own some chickens and slash my grocery bills that way.

No comments: