Monday, January 12, 2015

I Hate Baja Sauce, said No Juan Ever!

Hola, amigos!  After living in Florida for almost 8 years now, as transplant from the Southwest, I appreciate so many things.  For example, I love the Florida winters.  Christmas Eve at the beach?  Yes, please.  And speaking of beaches, I love that they are not only a short drive away, but they are not to be confused with hellish women when pronounced with a Latin accent.  I also love the art and culture.  Cubans have flair, no doubt, and we devour both performance and fine art equally.  The state's history is sordid and rich, and SO much fun.  We get to claim both not giving a damn, my dear, and running your rum, Capone.  As a foodie, who could help but love the ready access to deep fried southern amazingness and super fresh sushi served up on every corner?  Hell, fish is so available, we make our own sushi.  And let's not forget what Cuba brings to the table.  In a state where flip flops are a way of life and swimming with manatees seems commonplace, it would seem we lack nothing.

I do, however, miss many things about my pre-Florida existence.  I am an avid hiker, for example.  The highest hill I can find here is the bridge that leads to the beach.  I am also an admitted snow bunny, but hitting the slopes is definitely not an option.  Still, I would not trade it for a minute because one of the things I miss most is the food.  Luckily for me, and for the people who love my cooking, I can bring my love of the Southwest flavor and add some Florida flair.

On that note, I'd like to share my recipe for Florida Baja Sauce.  It is AMAZING on fish tacos.  And regular tacos.  And burgers.  And fries.  And chicken.  And grilled cheese sandwiches.  It's soooo good on almost anything.  ALMOST.  Please do not put this on your hot dog, pancakes, pet dog or family members.

No Baja in Florida?  Think again!  Here's the recipe.  You're freakin' welcome.

1 cup mayo
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon key lime juice (KEY lime!)
2 tablespoons of finely chopped onion
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons sugar (Florida crystals raw sugar is my fav)
2 teaspoons red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin

All the measurements are approximate.  You like garlic?  Do it up!  You're eating this, sucka.  Mix it all together in a pretty bowl (good recipes belong in pretty bowls), refrigerate overnight to let the flavors marry.  Then put that ish on everything!  Enjoy!

No comments: