Monday, January 14, 2013

Omfg, Not Another One!



I know I said I would stay away from the me-and-facebook-don't-mix posts, but it just keeps coming up, y'all.  Like a bad rash until you figure out it's your new organic laundry soap.  Or like Thai food loaded with MSG.  But you read my blogs anyway, because like MSG Thai food, they are delicious, and I love you for it.

This is what happened.  I was sitting at a meeting with a group of other moms, presumably my peers because our surfaces have, like, soooo much in common.  I have kids, they have kids.  I live in a house, they live in a house.  I eat food, they eat food.  This is pretty much where the sameness stops and gives way to a mind numbing difference of all things fundamental, and I generally feel like the odd man out.  Then one of the moms says, in reference to a tidbit of information she had and I needed, "I'll just Facebook it to you."  I replied quietly, "I don't have Facebook."  That's when everyone. Stopped. Talking.  Silence.  Crickets chirping.  After a long pause, one mom found her voice and blurted out, "What?!  Why?!"  Suddenly feeling like a two-headed calf, I told her, "I just, uh, just.....  There was no time for it.  So I, uh, I deleted it." I don't know why, but I felt all weird and uncertain.  Now everyone else found her own voice, and I was assaulted with a barrage of questions.  "How do you keep in touch with people?"  "Where do you post your pictures?"  "Don't you miss out on things?"  And my personal favorite, "Then what do you do....?"  I simply said, "Spend time with family, work too much, call friends, read books, enjoy wine, blog and sleep when I can, pretty much in that order."  Finally, the conversation turned to things other than my being a mutant, and life resumed, but I can tell I fit in even less now than I already did.  Thanks, Facebook.

What do you mean you don't
have Facebook?

2 comments:

Angie said...

I miss you on Facebook, but totally understand and support your decision. I check in out there less and less these days. Glad to find your blog via your instagram post so I can stay in touch. Congrats on the house! I'm getting a 12 passenger van on Wednesday, so there ya go. We're both moving on up in the world. Ha!

Thinkerbell said...

Angie, you're among those I miss most about Facebook. I'm happy you found my blog, and we can still keep up. Thank you for the congrats. I'm sure this house will be a new, blog-worthy adventure, so I'll keep you posted. And congrats on the van! I'm sure that will make life tons easier.