Friday, May 28, 2010

What church do your oocytes attend?

Hello, readers! How is everyone? I hope all is well. The weather here is bright and sunny, and let's hope it continues. They (you know, "they") are predicting a very busy hurricane season this year, so keep your fingers crossed for me as I buy every last jug of water at the grocery store and watch the seas like a paranoid hermit.

Some of you might know I've been planning to sign up as an egg donor for those would-be mommies who just need a little assistance. I started the paperwork months ago, and I've yet to completed it. Why? Well, because it's hard. It's not "math" hard or "life sciences" hard. It's just difficult and tedious to answer all those questions about myself and my family in such minute detail. It's like my ovaries are applying for citizenship. And I promise, my oocytes are not terrorists. Rest easy, Arizona - they're not immigrants either. If actually having your own baby required this much effort and insight, the world would probably be a better place. It would certainly be less crowded. On of the questions on the form is, "What is your religion?" and there are checkboxes for Catholic, Protestant, Jewish and Other ______________. What happens if one is not conventionally religious. The nature of my faith is not fitting neatly into checkboxes as it turns out. Also, religion is not genetic, so I'm not altogether sure the of the point of that question. I've been told I'm overthinking it, and I probably am. The other questions are less existential and more relevant - "What is your eye color?" "What is your hair color?" "Did your great aunt's third cousin twice removed ever suffer from a medical condition?" Maybe today's the day I'll get that great big book of me (and every relative I've ever had) completed.

I'm about all blogged out now, so I'm gonna go do some actual work now. Everyone take care, and "Good morning! And in case I don't see ya later - good afternoon, good evening and good night!"

No comments: